Monday, May 17, 2010

UrbanAthalon



I think I am in over my head right now. This past weekend I was forced decided to particpate in the UrbanAthalon on October 16, 2010 in Chicago. For those that do not know me, I am the complete other end of the spectrum from a runner or obstacle do-er. Why did I agree to this? The UrbanAthalon is a 9 mile course; however each 1.5 miles you run, you must complete an obstacle course before you continue to run. Here are the obstacle courses:

OBSTACLE COURSE 1: NAVY PIER
You must go through tires (military style) and then walk across concrete barriers. Repeat.




OBSTACLE COURSE 2: DuSABLE HARBOR
You must go UNDER blue police barricades and OVER yellow traffic barricades.




OBSTACLE COURSE 3: SOLDIER FIELD
You must climb over 5 rows of cars and get up and over the marine hurdles and crawl under the cargo net.



OBSTACLE COURSE 4: McCORMICK PLACE
You must go across a HUGE monkey bar.



OBSTACLE COURSE 5: SOLDIER FIELD STAIR CLIMB
You must climb the stairs at Soldier Field.



OBSTACLE COURSE 6: UPPER HUTCHINSON FIELD
You must club across cabs and then climb up and over a bus. Repeat. Then climb up a HUGE wall.

I don't know about you, but just looking at the pictures gives me an anxiety attack. Thankfully, they do offer a relay option. I will be on a team of 3 running 3 miles and doing 2 obstacle courses. Still, that is a huge deal to me.
I am doing it for Matt. I want to show him that I can be healthy and active. That is all he wants for me. I might die trying, though. We are going to begin training this week and continue over the summer and through the fall. I am going to try to sign up for a 5k this summer.
If anyone has any advice on training or running, I would greatly appreciate it.
Much Love.

2 comments:

  1. are you insane!? i LIKE working out and this looks painful! haha! keep us posted on your training schedule, and good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to the challenge,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete